6-8 Weeks Before the Move; Contact Moving Company & More
After spending time visiting properties and going through the legal channels, you’ve finally found your ideal home, apartment, or office. But now comes the logistical challenge of relocating. That’s where a professional moving company like Prodigy Moving & Storage comes in.
To ensure a smooth move, it’s important to be organized. Contact us to get a quote for any services you may require on your moving day. Our agents will inspect your current location and assess the requirements for the move. We’ll provide you with a detailed moving quote and full documentation of our services. Take the time to fully read the documentation and ask any questions you may have.
Make sure to keep the contact and contract information from your moving agent in a safe, easy-to-remember place. At Prodigy Moving & Storage, we’re dedicated to making your move as stress-free as possible. Contact us today to get started.
4-6 Weeks Before the Move; Setting Up Moving Services & More
- In this day and age, data protection, and identification theft are two issues every homeowner should be aware of. Be sure to forward all of your mail to your new address.
- Make a list of important documents you have and need to take with you, check off each document as you find them. Keeping these documents in a folder or security deposit box will ensure that you can easily put your hands on them again when needed.
– Any old mail should be shredded and disposed of.
- Notify the post office that you are moving homes. A Change of Address form is available at the United States Postal Service website.
- There will be a number of service providers you will need to contact prior to your move. All tasks that involve paperwork are tedious at times. The services below have been banded into five groups. An ideal tactic would be to handle all paperwork and service changes over the course of one week. From Monday to Friday, you could tackle one group per day. Make contact and notify them of your change of address and any change of circumstances, rather than trying to cram it all into one stressful day.
- Alert your utility companies at your current home that you will be moving. These utilities could include: Electric, gas, water, telephone/broadband services, cable/satellite services.
- Next, consider financial services. I.e. bank, loan companies, credit card and auto finance companies.
Professional services also need to be notified of your change of address. These could include doctor, dentist, optician, pharmacy, laundry services, lawyer and accountant.
- Certain Government Departments will also need to be made aware of your move, such as Department of Motor Vehicles, Social Security Administration, State/Federal Tax Bureaus, City/County Tax Assessor, and so on.
- Finally, make sure that any publication subscriptions you have are made aware of your change of details. Update personal internet account details for sites such as PayPal, Google, Yahoo and other online accounts to ensure that any items you order arrive at the right address.
- How much of the contents of your current home will be travelling with you? Moving to a new home is often the catalyst to a grand clear out. If your relocation is long distance, you will be charged by the weight of your items, as well as the distance. Prodigy Los Angeles Movers charges short distance relocations (those less than 100 miles) on an hourly or flat rate. So if you have lots of unwanted items, you don’t want to pay for hours moving items you don’t particularly want or will keep in your new home.
- Your friends and family members may be able to assist with your unwanted items by taking ownership of said items, a simple solution to a complex problem. Make sure you call around, and let people know what you’re thinking of passing along. Appliances and furniture are usually very quick to move.
- Use online selling stores to sell any remaining items. Online auctions are great for getting rid of unwanted items, but keep in mind there may fees that are applied for the use of their site.
2-4 Weeks Before Move; Packing & More
- You may have already decided to pack everything yourself. This may sound more cost effective initially, but on many occasions, people find things don’t always go quite to plan when they rely on friends and family. In one phone call, you can find out how affordable Prodigy Moving & Storage are available for your packing requirements, as well as your transit requirements. However, if you have already made arrangements for your packing, ensure that you have all the right materials in order to pack your items safely and securely. Prodigy Los Angeles Movers can provide any materials you need to pack your items. Our site also has a page full of packing hints and tips to help you, no matter which route you choose.
- Ensure you have enough boxes of different sizes to accommodate your items. Check out our website for packing boxes. Purchase and use specialized boxes for certain items, such as picture and mirror boxes, wardrobe boxes, and dish and china boxes. Prodigy’s packing box range includes these specialist items.
- Ensure you have plenty of tape, bubble wrap, packing paper (including heavy duty packing paper). These items are also part of our packaging materials. Once you are equipped for the job, you need to approach the task systematically.
- Print off our packing guide for some great advice on packing all of your items if you have decided to take on the responsibility of boxing everything up. Start with one room, and pack everything in it that is not essential. Finish as much as you can before moving on to the next room. Keep a list for each room of items that still need to be packed to make sure no item gets left behind or forgotten. Mark every single box with the room it needs to end up in on your move day. A quick listing of contents, such as ‘dishes’, or ‘books’ allows you to put your hands quickly on the items you want. Mark boxes with delicate contents as fragile. Make sure boxes that you feel are fully packed can cope with the weight, and move the box across the room, to check its stability. If you know which boxes you want to open first, mark them with an exclamation point or a similar reminder so you know which boxes to start unpacking immediately upon arrival. Once you have everything pretty much packed, speak to your representative, and advise them on the number and sizes of the boxes packed. Keep hold of boxes for things you will want to save for last minute packing.
- By this point you may start to feel the strains of the relocation process; thinking about everything and organizing all your details. You probably might be tempted to take a slight lax attitude to your packing. Don’t give in to temptation; be steadfast throughout your entire move. This is not a job to be left to the last minute. You will always, always have much more ‘stuff’ than you ever could have imagined. If you’re finding the prospect of packing making you want to bury your head in the sand, simply call Prodigy Los Angeles Movers, who will take the burden off your hands, and put it into well packaged boxes.
2 Weeks Before Move
- It’s the last few days till your move day comes, you’re probably going to be feeling a little doubtful, a little worried, and perhaps even a little sorry. It’s only when you leave your home do all the good memories play on your mind. This, mixed with all the stress and anxiety, can understandably lead to some emotional times for some. Rather than mourn the loss of your home, try to remember how good it felt looking around your new home. Remember all of the reasons you wanted to move, and the benefits the move will have. Ease the pain by taking the family to visit friends and favorite places, and spend some time reminiscing. If there’re places you loved to visit, why not take some photos and savor those memories forever. Hold a going away party. Everybody loves a house warming party, but all too often we forget to celebrate the success we’ve had in our current home. Having a simple and small get together before you leave your current home gives you one last memory of all your favorite people being together under your roof. Remember to pack up any parting gifts friends and family may present you. This may sound like a lot to organize around your home or commercial move, but in hiring a moving company like Prodigy Moving & Storage, you will have more time and resources to enjoy the last few weeks and days of your home, and have more time to prepare yourself and your family for the big day.
- Before you know it, the big day is here. By using Prodigy Moving & Storage, you can be sure everything will be in good hands. The day can still feel very challenging. Make sure all last minute items are packed the night before, saving only a few items left for the morning pack. Try to get a good night’s rest prior to your move also don’t skip breakfast in the morning.
Make sure you have plenty of snacks and drinks throughout the day. The process of moving are both physically and mentally demanding, so you will need the energy, as well as the occasional break. People will be looking to you for direction and guidance, but by keeping a cool head, following our checklist and using Prodigy Moving & Storage to help you with anything you require; you will find your moving day to be a breeze.
- And just like that, the day is done! You’ll be breathing out the sigh of relief, and feeling all those good vibes in your new home. Our team will have fulfilled your unloading and unpacking in-brief or to an elaborate extent, and have pulled off your driveway. You’ve arrived, and you’ve survived. If you haven’t started already, now really would be the time to start enjoying your new home.
QUESTIOIN? CONTACT US